Danielle's Cabin Crew Blog
It's been a while since I've posted information. Things have been going crazy at work. It's just business plans, feasability studies and marketing plans flying out of my office. This is the downside of joining Emirates. I love the job that I'm doing now. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that they will re-employ me after I've finished touring the world.

The good news is that the girl that I met at the Emirates interviews also got in. She's joining on the 3rd of December. It's such a bummer that I'm only joining in January. But I guess I'll have to accept it some time or another.

Sarize, is studying Honours with me and she also send in her application for Emirates. She waiting to hear if she's invited to the interviews. I'll keep my fingers crossed for her. Hope she gets in. She's got the perfect personality for the job.

I've been thinking a lot lately about actually packing everything I have and moving to Dubai. It's not really reality yet. My life is so busy at the moment between work, friends, the gym, my dogs and trying to read some intelligent books. But I'm afraid of falling into a rut once I arrive in Dubai.

You must understand something. Me joining Emirates is probably the craziest thing I've ever done. I've basically left the man of my dreams behind in order to not live a 'what if'. I don't want to look back in five years and be sorry about all the things I didn't do in life. So I've got once chance at this amazing freedom and I want to make the most of it. That includes doing stuff I've never done before, like cliff jumping, swimming with sharks, you name it and I want to do it.

The best advice my ex Jaco gave me was that I need to plan what I want to see in the countries that I want to visit. At the time I got so irritated with him, when he mentioned it, cause I wanted to do things my own way and find my own way. But I'm finally taking his advice and I want to know what all the amazing things are that I will get to see in Dubai and some of the outrageous stuff that I can do there. I hope my mom doesn't find out I intend to go cliff diving or something, she'll have a few things to say about it!!

Let's start with the best attractions to visit when you have a few days off in Dubai. Better keep this in mind when you have a lay-over month!!!
Dubai City is not a tour destination that it is easily explored on foot since many of its tourist attractions such as Deira and Jumeirah Beach are located far apart from each other.

Let us take a tour on some of the more popular tourist attractions and sightseeing sites in Dubai :-

Bastakiya – Bastakiya district is located at East of Dubai Souk on Al-Fahidi Street. Way back in the days before there was electricity for fans and air-conditioning, Dubai Creek used to have numerous wind towers that kept the homes cool from the blistering dessert heat. Touring the Bastakiya district is like taking a step back in time travel because of the many traditional courtyard houses still have the wind towers. The Bastakiya district is now undergoing massive reconstruction for its transformation into a "tourist village".

Palm Islands – The famous Palm Islands (so called because of its palm like shape), is actually a grouping of three islands and is said to be visible from the moon. The Palm Island is an incredible largest manmade island in the world. A large part of Palm Islands is still undergoing tremendous construction at the time of writing this article. There are about 7,000 apartments and 1,800 villas and townhouses on The Palm, Jumeirah.

Jumeirah will also offer an outstanding array of retail and lifestyle options for residents and tourists when construction is fully completed. The Golden Mile when completed will offer the world's most exclusive brands with an international array of boutiques, shops, restaurants and cafes. As an exclusive tie up between The Trump Organization and Nakheel Group, The Palm Jumeirah will feature a number of Trump properties, including The Palm Trump International Hotel and Tower.

Sheikh Saeed Al-Maktoum's House - Sheikh Saeed Al-Maktoum's House, near Al-Shindagha Tunnel, Al-Shindagha Road is one of the oldest homes in the city, as well as one of the best examples of traditional Arabic architecture. The house was built exclusivly with sandstone in 1896 and offers panoramic views of the sea. Sadly though, the fantastic view is now slightly obscured by the more modern developments. The Sheikh who was a former ruler of Dubai used the house to monitor trading in and out of the country. This tourist attraction was reopened as a museum in 1986 contains an exhibition showcasing the development of Dubai from 1940s to 1960s.

Children's City – Tourists with children will be delighted to take the kids the Children's City, located at Creekside Park. The Children's City was opened in 2002 and is a smashing hit children and their delighted parents. This 7,700 sq-m (83,000 sq ft) wonderland takes young minds on a journey through the human body, science and space, with the help of different 'zones'. There are also plenty of hands-on activities to keep even the most playful children occupied. All exhibits in this city are in English and Arabic.

Jumeirah Mosque - The Jumeirah Mosque on Al-Jumeirah Road is perhaps the most photographed building by tourists in Dubai because of its impressive example of modern Islamic architecture. Built along medieval Fatimid lines and entirely of stone, the Jumeirah Mosque with its two minarets is particularly beautiful in the night when subtle lighting increases the mosque's dramatic effect.

Grand Mosque - The Grand Mosque in Ali ibin Ali Talib Street was only rebuilt in 1998 with the city's tallest minaret standing at an impressive 70m (231ft) tall.The Grand Mosque is made up of nine large domes and 45 smaller ones. This mosque can accommodate up to 1,200 worshippers.

Souks - The souks, or traditional markets, are one of Dubai's most popular tourist attractions. The souks are located on both sides of the creek, with the most impressive ones on the Deira side. The highlight of this tourist attraction is the colorful and bustling Spice Market where tourist can find local delights like exotic perfumes and watch noisy locals bargaining with vendors.

Dubai Museum – Not to be missed is the Dubai Museum in Al-Fahidi Fort. The museum itself is actually a historic fort, dating back to 1799. It was only converted into a museum in 1970. The exhibits in the museum ranges from ancient weapons, pearl-diving outfits to an impressive range of military artifacts. Some of the most intriguing exhibits are those discovered from the 3000 to 4000-year-old graves at Al-Ghusais.

Heritage Village - The Heritage Village is located at Shindagha Tunnel, Al-Shindagha Road and as the name suggests, it is an attempt to weave in some local traditional heritage in contrast to Dubai's rapidly developing modern skyline. The objective of the project is to recreate the Bedouin way of life, with locals dressed up in traditional Arabic garbs, exhibit traditional handicrafts, music and dance.

Jumeirah Beach – Although much of the famous pristine crystal clear water of Jumeirah Beach located at Al-Jumeirah Road is dominated by luxury hotels and 5 star accommodations, some of the hotels do allow non hotel guests to use their pools and stretches of beach if they dine at the hotels or pay a nominal usage fee.

This is just was usual tourists visit when they are in Dubai. So I'll make sure to see them all and add my own photo's pretty soon.
1 Response
  1. Ed Villa Says:

    hi. this is very informative and interesting to read.. keep blogging! good luck on your FA career! - Ed from Philippines


Post a Comment

All comments are welcome. But I am quiet sensitive so keep it clean, sweet and always in my favour!!